Thursday, February 01, 2007

Out in the Cold

Yesterday morning it was 16 degrees at 6:15 A.M. I was dropped off at the back door of my classroom. I had a box, a bag, my purse and my lunch on the step outside the door. I reached into my coat pocket for my trusty little key.

But, alas! My key did not open my door. I tried several times to no avail. I tried all the other outside doors to the school to no avail. I was locked out in the cold.

After about three tries at most locks, I called another teacher who called another teacher. He came and unlocked the front door for me. What a relief! What a blessing to have a colleague who will leave the warmth of his house to unlock a door.

I felt the effects of my being in the cold for 20 minutes without proper attire for such weather until about lunch time. I feel the effects of the gratefulness today.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

That must have left you feeling a real sense of panic! I'm glad that someone was close enough to rescue the damsel in distress.

Merle

GKStauffer said...

It must be a Burkholder thing. Don't worry though; help is available. Maybe you could form a peer support group. Consult with the "Madhatter." Based on his prior similar experience, maybe he could be a sort of mentor in your group to help guide you through some of the post traumatic related stress you most assuredly must be going through. :-)