Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dissertation Milestone

One thousand sheets of paper and an ink cartridge later, the dissertation is in the mail again. The last two weeks have been kind of crazy as I focused on rewriting chapters 4 & 5 in just over a week. An e-mail arrived from my chairman on July 10 with his comments so I could get started. The rest of the packet arrived on July 12. I entered a time of seclusion with my nose to the computer and very few breaks for anything else. Over the weekend I enjoyed taking two days off and then Monday morning I was back at the computer by 6 A.M. Yesterday I began the long process of printing out 4 copies of the complete manuscript. I had two reams of paper and a brand new ink cartridge. This morning as I was printing out the last 100 sheets or so, I ran out of ink first and had to run to Office Max for another one. Then, I was a few sheets short on the paper. Thankfully, there is paper in a print shop, and I could finish it and get it packaged for mailing. The trip to the post office was not an inexpensive one since I mailed it express mail. The very apologetic postal service worker socked me $41.30 with a promise that it will arrive in Florida by tomorrow noon.

Sometimes I wonder why I ever started this ordeal, but I am sure I will be glad to have accomplished it when the misery fades into the background.

No comments: