Friday, July 21, 2006

Thoughts on the Tour de France


I was trying to decide if I should write this before the end of the race or wait until I know who is wearing the yellow jersey in Paris. I opted for before.

Floyd Landis has made his bid on the yellow jersey. He went to France to win the race, and he has put forth his best effort. Whether he wins the Tour de France or not, is not the most important thing.

What has Floyd gained by becoming the American favorite to win the Tour? He certainly has more money than I will ever have. He has more fame than I will ever have. He's been on more magazine covers than I would ever want. He has seen more of Europe than I will probably ever see. He is certainly more physically fit than I am. He has an outstanding determination. He doesn't let pain get in the way of meeting his goals. I respect Floyd for his determination and perserverance.

But what has Floyd traded for all of this? He doesn't see many of his longtime friends or family very often--maybe once or twice a year. His hobby has become a job. After retirement from cycling, what skills does he have to take up another occupation? Most importantly, his relationship with God is something he doesn't discuss. He avoids the issue. He laughs and changes the subject. The Tour de France is going well for him at this point and he may win, but will he win the race that is much more important than the Tour de France?

There is a group of people not unlike the riders in the Tour. They have determination to reach the lost of the world in city, village, or country. They perservere through years with very little evidence of the work they are doing, but they are planting seeds. They give their lives to meet a goal. Few know who they are. They may not know each other. They own very little. They will be forgotten in the eyes of the world, but the contribution they make in reaching the lost will have rewards that will last much longer than a yellow jersey.

No comments: