Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Diet Pays Off

Just a little over a year ago, my insurance company said they would insure me, but they were charging me 80% more for my premiums because of my weight; I could appeal the rate increase in one year. That was the motivation and the deadline I needed to really work on losing weight.  I had lost about 20 pounds before that, but had hit a plateau. It has been a battle between calories consumed and calories burned ever since.

In August I started checking into what I needed to do to have my rates reduced. When I was at the doctor for my regular appointment, I had him sign a statement of my height and weight as of that date.  I completed all the necessary application papers, but then waited to mail them until it was more than a year since my passing out episode. I mailed them the beginning of this month.  A few days later I received an e-mail asking for an explanation for the claims I had due to the fainting.  I thought maybe it sounded good to them that I fainted because I was trying to lose weight--evidence that I really was trying to do what they wanted me to do, wasn't it?  I didn't hear any more from them until today.

Today I have reaped one of the rewards of that effort: denying myself food I would have enjoyed, walking miles and miles (wearing out a pair of shoes in the process), and filling out all the forms they requested.  When I got the mail today, there was a check from my insurance company.  It was a refund for 30% of my premium increase.  That gives me about $77 a month for something else.  I have already reworked my budget and applied it to a different category that was weak and needy.  We shall strengthen the feeble.

This does not end the calorie counting.  I am still paying 50% more than I should be for insurance.  Once again, I can appeal the rate increase in one year.  So I have another goal and another deadline. I hope that a year from now I am at my goal and not paying anything extra. But, right now I want to eat something and not walk an extra three miles to burn it.  Anybody for celery sticks? Just wondering . . . Are there celery sticks that taste like chocolate peanut butter ice cream?

1 comment:

Chris said...

Congratulations!
Not sure but maybe a smear of peanut butter on the celery sticks? But make sure you count that bit of protein