Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lessons Learned

Monday I gave one of my classes their first test.  They didn't do very well on two of the sections: composition and Dewey decimal.  I know they will be faced with questions from the same sections in at least three more tests this year: end of quarter, end of semester, and end of year.  If they don't know the information now, they will struggle with those sections every time the rest of the year.  So, I devised a plan. They will have a quiz on those two sections every day until they learn them.  As soon as they know them, I will stop the daily quizzes and give them one maybe weekly for a while just to be sure it goes into their long term memories. I hope they learn that lesson soon or I will get very tired of making multiple versions of the same quiz.

Last evening we walked from school to Shady Maple Smorgasbord for supper.  It was seafood night and Mary was due a free meal for her birthday. We decided to walk from school to Shady and then back to school so that we would burn off some of the calories we ate. I enjoyed the meal tremendously and wished I had room to taste a few more types of seafood.  I wanted some grilled salmon but simply didn't have the room for it.  You have to understand that since I have been losing weight, I simply do not eat as much as I used to.  By the time I stopped last evening, I had not eaten as much as I did other times that I was at Shady, but I realized that I had eaten too much.  The walk back to school was kind of miserable but was probably the best thing I could have done.

Why do I write about these two seemingly different topics? I think there is a connection. Just as my class didn't do too well on the test of Dewey decimal and composition, I didn't do too well with the test on my control of my eating.  I will have to have to learn my lesson well before I am faced with another birthday celebration in three weeks. I will be quizzing myself with every meal between now and then.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I warned the freshman in this house to expect quizzes. thank you